Easy Whole-Wheat Tortillas Recipe
Inspired by Lisa Leake's Whole-Wheat Tortillas Recipe on 100daysofrealfood.com.
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Keurig Machine
- 2.5 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- .5 cup Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup warm water from Keurig Machine I try not to use the microwave.
- In the bowl pour in the flour, oil, and salt and mix with hands.
- Gradually add the warm water and continue mixing until the dough is smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Take out dough out of bowl and knead for about 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal-sized pieces.
- Using the palms of your hand roll each piece into a round ball and flatten it out on a baking tray or board. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes or up to one hour.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over med heat. The pan should be fairly hot before you begin cooking the tortillas.
- Use a rolling pin or smooth bottle to turn each ball into a flat circle. Hang at least 3 flat tortilla on edge of bowl before cooking first tortilla.
- Grease the pan with a touch of oil (or ghee) and carefully transfer each tortilla, one at a time, to the pan and cook until puffy and slightly brown.
- Set aside in aluminum foil. Eat within an hour, refrigerate or freeze.